May 19, 2018
Tags: Calendar, Contacts, Email, Gmail, Google, Google Apps, Mobile, SmartPhones
A number of years ago, CCSD21 had hoped to be able to provide access to CCSD21 email, calendar, and contacts to CCSD21 staff members on personal mobile devices. Technical and policy issues were examined and preparations were made. Ultimately, there was no way around the fact that School District 21 would have needed to invest in additional server infrastructure in order to make this happen. Unfortunately, those costs remained in the “nice-to-have” than the “need-to-have” category.
With the move to Google Apps for Education, one of the benefits for staff is that staff members now have the possibility of accessing their CCSD21 email, calendar, and contacts on their personal mobile devices.
Five Important Parameters
First, if a staff member chooses to add his or her CCSD21 Google Apps account to his or her smartphone, he or she is agreeing to this Administrative Procedure that applies to the use of personal mobile devices and CCSD21 data. There is nothing to sign, but the agreement is implied when the staff member adds his or her CCSD21 Google Apps account to his or her mobile device.
Second, CCSD21 does not support the set-up of these devices. CCSD21 will provide basic information for setting up Android and iOS devices, and, unfortunately, there will be no additional technical assistance provided. (Information Services will be responsible for the set-up and maintenance of all CCSD21-owned devices.)
Third, when the device is set-up, there are a variety of security measures being put in place on that device. These include:
- 1-minute device sleep
- Passcode requirement to wake from sleep
- Remote wipe capabilities
- Device encryption on Android
Please note that these security measures are still limited and do not allow CCSD21 technical staff members to view your apps, location, text messages, phone calls, or other non-CCSD21 data on personal mobile devices.
Fourth, if the device is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the staff member to contact the Help Desk at https://tech.ccsd21.org or at extension 6283, and the Chief Technology Officer as quickly as possible in order for the device to be wiped and for our CCSD21 data to be protected. If the device is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the staff member to contact the Tech Center, and Chief Technology Officer as quickly as possible in order for the device to be wiped and for our CCSD21 data to be protected.
Fifth, if you already are using Calendar and Contacts on your personal mobile device, it is up to you if you will replace them with the CCSD21 Calendar and/or Contacts, merge them when possible, or choose not to sync the CCSD21 Calendar and/or Contacts. CCSD21 cannot provide recommendations to users about how best to do this. CCSD21 staff members who utilize a CCSD21-owned mobile device are encouraged to keep all of their calendar events and contacts in that one calendar and contacts account.
Basic Information regarding Device Set-Up
Setting up an Android device is very easy.
1. Go to Settings > Accounts and add a “Google” account
2. Enter your full CCSD21 email address ([email protected]) and your Active Directory password
3. If you are prompted to do so, and anyone running Android 4.0 or newer will be, download the free “Google Device Policy” app from the Google Play Store. (The same settings will apply to older phones, too.)
4. Pay attention to your notifications menu at the top of the screen. You will be prompted there to enter your passcode and to turn on device encryption.
5. After you have completed a few of those security steps on your device at the devices prompting, your email, calendar, and contacts will sync to the phone. Your device is ready-to-use.
Setting up an iOS device is not difficult but does require some additional information.
1. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars or Accounts and Passwords
2. Click “Add Account…”
3. Choose “Microsoft Exchange” (Yes–You read that correctly. Do not choose Gmail.)
4. Enter your full CCSD21 email address ([email protected]) and your Active Directory password. Enter “CCSD21” for the account Description.
5. After the device tries to verify the account, you will enter the Server and Username information…
- Server: m.google.com
- Username: [email protected]
- Also, be sure that “Use SSL” is set to “On”
6. Then, choose if you will sync your Email, Calendar, and Contacts, and the syncing process will begin. Your device is ready-to-use.
Battery Life Note
Please note that when you first set-up your device, it will need to pull down lots of emails, calendar events, and contacts from the server. This will drain the battery life during that initial sync period. It is recommended that you do so when you may be able to plug your device in to an outlet during this time.
Topic: Tech Tips
Each District 21 school is named after an American author, and learning and literacy is at the center of our Professional Learning Community. The Modern Pen provides a collaborative location in which District 21 teachers can come together to learn the skills that will enable their students to learn new skills and to understand concepts at an even different level than before.